Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Farm Visits

I've been told the most valuable learning tools for a new alpaca owner is farm visits. I have only visited two farms besides where my kids are, but of course, I'm still new to this. The first farm I visited was great. The people were really nice very sweet, incredibly hospitable. They were generous with their time and knowledge of their experiences. They have a family operation and have two farms, one here in the LA area and one up north. I liked the layout and the space they provided for their animals and how they were able to reconfigure their fields by opening and closing different gates.

The wife suggested another local farm that specializes in suris, the type of alpaca I'm really interested in. I went there and saw an absolute nightmare. The animals were so crowded that the first thought that came to my head was "puppy mill". The poor animals couldn't even move more than ten feet away from the poop pile. She had breeding males directly next to open females. The guys were not happy campers. I know it was hot and she called herself bringing them in from the heat, but I can't imagine they were happier in those conditions than they would have been outside.

After that visit, I learned the value of space and one can never have enough shade shelters or trees. If she'd had some outside, the poor animals wouldn't have been cramped together like that. The scariest part she boards other people's animals. Never mine.

I told the person who recommended the farm about my visit and she was horrified. She said her lesson was to always have her farm in "visitor" condition and to be careful about recommendations. I am keeping those lessons in mind for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment