Thursday, September 24, 2009

60 Days.....and Counting

When I started this blog, I decided I wanted to write daily because so much happens when a new venture begins. But I also realize that a daily blog is a lot to read. I know because I read my friend Susan's blog that she kept for two years. It took me several days and she only kept hers weekly (most of the time). After reading hers I decided to keep mine daily for 90 days and then switch to a weekly format.

Since things have slowed down, there really isn't much to write about so I'll be switching to the weekly or if something interesting happens format early. Yesterday I kind of reflected on my time, but I'm going to really reflect:

From the time I had that fateful conversation with Susan and started into the world of alpacas, my life hasn't been the same. I started looking at my future with prospect and hope. I could see that I could fulfill my dream of financial independence. The economy was crashing (still is but not as bad) so I was worried about how I was going my finance my old age. At this point, the stock market was proven as an unsafe place to put one's retirement fund, social security would not exist by the time I reach retirement age, so what was I going to do?

As I began researching alpacas, I discovered the best of both worlds: an independent income and having lots of animals. I've always been an animal person. The idea of alapcas made me very happy. I found three boys I wanted to purchase, but I was talked out of that and bought Keona packaged with Michael instead. And of course I bought Ewok for Michael. If I hadn't made an excitement purchase and thought about my purchase more carefully, I probably would have bought one of the pregnant girls first. Of course, I realize I still would have needed a second female, but I think two preggos would have been better. Please don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my kids. Keona is a maiden and will eventually will give me crias. And Michael, as the grandson of Cantano, has the potential to be a great herdsire. My apprehension is that now I am thinking in terms of fiber production rather than breeding, I am concerned about having animals whose fiber are not colors that people normally wear. From this point forward, I will only be purchasing animals whose fiber is light fawn, white, black or silver grey. I have definitely decided that I want a fiber farm and I will keep space available for rescue and/or evacuations.

I will still have a small breeding program, that's where Michael and his lineage comes in. And Lady Carmella. She's a King Kong daughter. In about six months, I'll go on the hunt for a white herdsire with great lineage. By then I will have decided if I want to breed Huycayas. If I do, I'll have to buy a breeding pair. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Ewok is going to cut it as a herdsire.

I am very much looking forward to my alpaca farm career. Being on any farm is just so peaceful and relaxing. The peace and quiet alone is worth whatever financial trade-off I'm making. As long as the kids pay for themselves and give me enough to feed me, I'll be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment