Monday, September 21, 2009

Time to Get Serious

When I was visiting the farm on Saturday, I was confronted with questions about my plans to make my fiber profitable. I have thought about and put together a tentative plan in my mind, but I haven't committed a plan to paper. No, I didn't finish the written part of my business plan. So many people told me they didn't have a business plan, that I got lazy and stopped with the financials.

But having to try to answer those questions made me realize that if I'm going to advocate for the fiber side of the alpaca industry, I'd better stop being lazy and commit my marketing plan in writing. Actually regardless of any promoting, I need to have a solid plan. It's nice to have an idea in your head, but it isn't until one puts it in black and white when you can see the potential. Writing it our can also make you see things that you hadn't thought about and can save a lot of trial and error, which can get very expensive. Also having a solid plan enables one to be be able to present themselves in a way that can be taken seriously.

After all, as cute as they are, if alpacas are not an income generating business, they are very expensive pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment