Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kill or Scare?

There's a raging debate about coyotesin the Alpaca Nation forum. One forum member found a coyote in her boy's field after the wild turkeys there. One of her neighbors offered to hunt down the coyote. I have a major problem with this. The coyote wasn't after the alpacas he was after the turkeys. Why does he deserve to die for doing what comes naturally? All he knows is that he's hungry and there's food in the field.

Now I'm not in favor of letting coyotes run wild on any farm, but I don't think killing them is a solution. I think firing a gun in their direction will scare them sufficiently. Coyotes and other wild animals are not like humans, they don't understand gun fire, all they know is that there's something dangerous and they don't want a part of it. I also think having big dogs and guard llamas will provide enough of a deterrent.

I haven't decided what kind of poultry I'll have, I've been thinking about chickens and geese. Geese are great guard dogs. I do know that the small flock I'm planning shouldn't be enough incentive to attract wildlife. *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment