Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reputation is everything

After several conversation with other alpaca owners, I realize that I have to be extremely careful about what I say and do. The alpaca industry is a very small world and actions spread like wildfire. I was quite surprised after I made a farm visit to get a phone call from another farm I had visited to ask me what I thought. Just, wow.

Right now on Alpaca Nation there's a farm trying to divest itself of 500 alpacas. There is an auction planned for at least half of them. So far, I haven't spoken to a single person who plans to buy any of the alpacas even though they are reasonably priced. Why? The seller has a reputation for dishonesty. No one wants to go through the extra steps necessary to ensure one is getting what one is paying for. My concern is what happens to these poor animals if no one buys them? I can understand completely no one wanting to buy from him, it's almost like asking to be ripped off. He has proven he has no problem doing that.

He is a glaring example of what is wrong in ANY business, period. I'm just sick that 500 animals, most of which look to be in good condition, might end up at one of those slaughterhouse auctions because of this guy's reptutation.

No comments:

Post a Comment