Thursday, August 13, 2009

Alpaca Raffle

Creating my farm business plan just got easier. The farm holding the raffle for Chai Tea had it. Unfortunately, I didn't win, but maybe right now that's for the best. The last thing I need to to have another animal to agist before I have my own farm. I am glad I was able to contribute to our troops getting alpaca socks. I've decided that every year I'm going to contribute a fleece to make socks for the trooops.

By my calculations, all things being equal and all of my females have no problems reproducing and do so every year, and I should have 30 alpacas by the end of my 5th year. My plan is to sell at least half of the crias. My plan (finally) is to have 6 breeding females and three herdsires as my foundation herd for my breeding program. I will probably acquire one or two fiber animals per year after the third year which will give me 6 fiber animals. I'd like to have a fiber herd of 12. Before I buy fiber animals, I'll wait and see what my girls produce.

Thirty alpacas is not a small farm but it's not a large operation. I think I'll be able to handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment