Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Importance of Lineage

As I am planning my herd and creating my wish list, a lot of ads tote lineage. "Add MacGyver bloodlines to your herd", "This is the offspring of King Kong", "this alpaca has Peruvian bloodlines", etc. And when I research some of thesse bloodlines, I can see that the Alpacas they are touting have impressive offspring numbers. If one is strictly breeding for show ribbons, and some alpaca owners do, I can see where bloodlines are important. I can see where having a "celeb" alpaca in your breeding program can be a good thing. More importantly, a ribbon winning alpaca from a "celeb" bloodline. Such claims greatly increase the alpaca's value (translation raises the price). Since I am planning to do some breeding, I am learning who the big boys are.

I know I will only buy ARI registered animals. Even if they are simply fiber animals. I will register all of my crias, whether they turn out to be show animals or pets. Yes, it costs money to register the animal, and for most people, the registration is about proving lineage, but more importantly, and my point is, that it tells you where the animal came from. Unless the animal is registered, how do you know where it came from? The animal could be stolen for all I know.

Since I am planning a majority fiber program, how important in lineage? I'm thinking that for me or anyone running a fiber program, lineage is not that important. I think that if given the opportunity I would like the acquire the high end bloodline animals, but in the end if all I want is great fiber, how important is lineage?

No comments:

Post a Comment