Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Why not a big farm?

After my farm visit and thinking over the whole idea of a large vs. a small farm and it occurred to me that if I’m concentrating on the fiber market I might want to consider having a larger farm after all.

I’ll start of slowly and if things go well, I’ll begin expanding. Especially if I can maintain a positive relationship with my chosen fiber mill which I believe will happen. I don’t see a reason why I can’t have a larger farm since I’ll probably need to if I’m going to focus on fiber production. And with fiber animals being much cheaper than show animals, it won’t be nearly as challenging to reach a profitable status.

I’ll have help as I get larger; anything over 50 I won’t be able to handle on my own. The farm that I visited had a live in veterinarian which I will absolutely do once I get a large number of animals, probably around 150. I guess the biggest challenge I will face is selling the goods that are produced. Looks like I have more research to do. Good thing I like research.

No comments:

Post a Comment