Monday, August 10, 2009

Charting my own course

I'm still learning about the alpaca business and I'll still be learning for years to come. Last night I finished reading my friend's blog about her first steps into alpaca. She's stopped writing her blog because the government has apparently decided to read blogs and social network pages to confirm people's business activities. Yes, I have a problem with "Big Brother" looking over my shoulder, but by the same token, I'm not doing anything wrong, so read on.

Everything I go to a website, or talk to someone I learn something whether it's what to do or what not to do. I am deeply grateful for all of the guidance and information I've received. The biggest problem I have with advice and mentoring is that people have a tendency to want you to do exactly what they suggest or follow their footsteps. Through reading her blog, I've learned that Susan was comfortable stoppingher research when she met Rick and Patti. I can totally understand why. They are wonderful people with tons of experience and share it generously wanting nothing in return except to see the person they are helping succeed.

I am not entirely comfortable with one ranch being my sole source of alpaca experience or information. What I learned in college is to write a successful paper, one had to have more than one source. That's why I've visited several farms and plan to visit more. I want to learn from more than one source so I can chart my own course. I haven't gotten the impression that anyone who has given me advice would stop or be upset if I didn't follow their advice to the letter. But I have had that experience before. I've come to realize that those people who turned their backs when I charted my own course did so out of ego. Their intention was not to help me but to see extensions of themselves or to live their lives vicariously through me.

Rick and Patti are not like that. Neither is Nancy or Cindy, or for that matter Susan. But once bitten, twice shy. I feel funny deciding a different course of action from theirs but I believe I'll receive the support I need regardless. This is what I love about the alpaca industry. It's about support and working together while respecting individual choices. The rest of the world should be like the alpaca industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment