Saturday, August 15, 2009

Halter not training

Well I have to say that I have to own one of the smartest alpacas, at the very least, one of the most creative. My girl has decided that she will allow the harness to be put on her, but she will only walk on her own terms. Today, she stayed in front of me and she kept twisting the leash around her neck. When that wouldn't get the leash out of my hand, she twisted the leash again, then before I could get it from around her neck, she jumped straight up in the air, flipped over on her back catching the leash with her back foot as she went down - effectively snatching the leash out of my hand.

She ran up the alley and I gave chase, when she got to the end, she realized there was a gate and she was stuck. So she gave in on walking on the alley but when we got to where we needed to stand, she wouldn't stand still. She kept going in circles. My girl.

At least Susan's girl had a good day. Creme Brulee walked on the harness like she'd been born to it. She even walked through the garage. However, once back inside of the field she pulled and bucked like she was dying. Beyonce and Bon Aninee were liking harnesss training either. They didn't go for a walk. Beyonce was acting every bit like her namesake. She coped what I call "alpaca-tude".

Michael Jackson and Keona are officially registered to me. And I officially own Sir Ewok outright. Rick and Patti are wonderful people who refuse to let a person waste money or make a bad move. No matter how hard headed I am. :-) They really feel it's unnecessary to register Sir Ewok since he is only a companion animal for Michael Jackson. They showed me the difference between Sir Ewok's fiber and another Hucaya's. That other Hucaya's fiber was much softer than Ewok's. At 6 weeks of age, he should have the best fiber he will ever have. Their point is taken.

I still have high hopes for Michael. I understand that great herdsires are a long shot but Michael is a big boy with a fantastic lineage. If he grandson of Cantano of Peru (sold for record $265,000), and great grandson of Peruvian Meteor doesn't have a chance to be a champion herdsire, I don't know who does. Of course, Blade (Michael's sire) is nothing to sneeze at. He's a big, beautiful boy who does beautiful work. Just look at Michael and Keona.

No comments:

Post a Comment