Monday, August 17, 2009

My Wish List

This weekend Patti and I went over my wish list. I'm trying not to allow it to get too long, thus I have a self imposed ban on visiting Alpaca Nation. We discussed the animals from Arness's farm as well as my animals of interest from All American. Apparently, Ms Arness is retiring from suris just like Rick and Patti. Her animals are currently agisted at Windy Hill so I probably saw them but because I wasn't there shopping, so they didn't really register. Sounds like another visit to Windy Hill is in order.

We went over Rick and Patti's herd and she basically gave me an education on who's who (I am having a heck of a time telling the white girls apart). We went over the pros and cons of each animal. Patti also let me know that they can take a female if I buy from outside, but no males. They have too many as it is. She also let me know that they buy outside females to mix up their bloodlines. So she understood my concern about being in the position of having animals you can't do anything with because they are all related. If bought the girls I was interested in, some of them would be related but it doesn't really matter with females, the big concern is their crias. If I only had one herdsire, they would all be related and couldn't be bred to each other so they would all have to be sold.

Breeding is a very delicate balance. Another reason it's a good thing to be friends with other alpaca breeders. We can trade breedings.

No comments:

Post a Comment