Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Herd Planning - the colors

The contemplation of my foundation herd continues. I've decided I want a variety of colors for my foundation herd: black, white, fawn, grey and brown. At first I was thinking I wanted one color for each sex but that I've gained some alpaca knowledge, I know that this isn't necessary.

First of all, I'll end up with more alpacas than are needed for a foundation herd. Secondly and most importantly, it doesn't matter what color the parents are, there's no way to guarantee what color the cria will be.

With this thought in mind, as well as knowing I already have dark brown with Keona and Michael, I'm setting my sights on the other colors. Rick and Patti have two very beautiful girls I have my eye on who will nicely take care of white and fawn. There's a potential herdsire from the Aurness herd that I would like for black. I'm thinking I would like a white male and have a white pair even though I know I will probably end up with a color rather than white when they have crias. And since I'll have three males at this point, my grey will be female. The other two females, I'll leave to fate.

Planning is so much fun! I can't wait to get my farm set-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment