Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's nice to have friends

I have had few people in my life who have helped me. Normally when people are nice to me it's because they are getting something out of it. Since my introduction into the alpaca industry, I have been blessed to meet people who like to help people for the sole purpose of helping people.

I can never thank Rick and Patti enough for everything they are doing for me. They allow me to come in and work on the farm so I can learn the day-to-day and they share with me their knowledge. They also help curb my fanciful tendencies. Most people who are selling things love to see someone like me coming. They could have sold me a bunch of animals, and filled my head full of grandiose ideas, encouraged my grandiose ideas and called it a day. But they actually take the time to explain why things will or will not work. They tell me which animals will and will not work for my goals. They share with me their honest evaluations of my kids' potential. A lot of time I feel like I'm taking advantage of them or ripping them off. In my opinion, I am receiving so much more than I am giving. But they disagree.

When I did the math and realized the true value of Keona, I offered them a cria. They flat out said "NO!". And now that I'm realizing the potential in Michael Jackson, I really feel bad. But I know there's no point in my trying to compensate them, they won't hear of it. That's okay, I'll have an Alpaca Nation farm page soon and I'll plug them there. And their farm will always be on the front page of my website. And Rick wonders why someone sent him a ride around cooler. Some of us are very grateful for what you do.

And Susan. My dear friend who introduced me to Rick and Patti and took me to All American Alpacas. Everytime I'm feeling discouraged or have a concern, she listens to me and helps me come up with a solution or feel better. She also introduced me to the ARI registry and showed me how to use it. It's a great research tool. And a fantastic way to do independent research to find out how much of what you read in ads is hype. I was concerned when I read that she stopped farm research when she met Rick and Patti, but I truly understand why.

The people I've met on my farm visits have been very nice as well. Nancy of .925 Sterling Alpacas has been wonderful in sharing her knowledge of fiber and fiber products. And it was fun riding around Windy Hill with Cindy. She breeds for shows and showed me what makes a quality show animal. She also helped reinforce and drill into me that alpacas are a business. I don't think I'll ever 100% hold that view, but then she doesn't either.

And the gentlemen who run All Alpaca Fiber Mill deserve to be mentioned here because I don't know many people who will take your phone calls and have extensive conversation when they know they won't be getting any business from you for at least 7 months.

It's nice to find a place in the world where people are wonderful and share. I'm really liking the alpaca industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment