Friday, August 7, 2009

High End Pricing

As I continue my research, I realize that the alpaca industry, the fiber in particular is very high end. While you scratch your head, let me explain. I’ve always known that alpaca was high end, but knowing something and dealing with the reality are two different things. I realize that my natural tendency towards bargain hunting is probably going to alienate me in the alpaca world. I look at the prices and go into shock. I think that the prices are outrageous, but I realize that this is the industry standard and I’m going to have to “get with the program”.

Like I said, we all have our own personal experiences we bring to the table. I have to let go of my own personal crap and let this wonderful thing happen. I know in order for me to be successful in this wonderful business, I can't antagonize the other people in this industry and that means to a certain degree, I'm going to have to get over my high price sticker shock in not only pricing my alpacas but the end items I create from their wonderful fiber. Thankfully, I have mentors who will gladly help me with this.

My sister laughed when I told her my problem. Apparently, she’s been waiting for me to realize that my natural cheapskateness and the alpaca industry were on a collision course. I’ll be taking tours of Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Saks, Nordstrom’s and Neiman Marcus. Hopefully that will help. You would think that working for a high end cruise lines for a year would have helped and to a degree it has, but there is a difference quoting someone else’s price and quoting a price you’ve created.

Well, onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment